Re: SLA-250 and Year 2000 (Y2K)

From: Kevin Robertson (kevin@arrk.com)
Date: Wed Apr 29 1998 - 00:02:32 EEST

At 06:01 PM 4/27/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello, all -
>
>This morning I set our SLA-250 (with the 486 upgrade) to April 27,
>2000. We are running Version 1.10, Rel. 3.83. It all seemed okay. This
>is the same machine for which I had tested the BIOS and hardware, and
>found full compliance.
>
>It didn't take long! The first guy to start up the laser (by going into
>the Power menu) reported that, each time he "backed out" of a menu by
>hitting "x" for Exit, a box popped up with:
>
>Executing SERVICE LASER OFF NOW /T

Steve thanks for posting your findings to the group. Good news is it didn't
totally crash the machine when you changed the date. By chance, did you try
setting it to February 29, 2000 to see if it recognized leap year?
Apparently this is supposed to be an added headache to the Y2K problem.

>I'll get with 3D and let you know what their response is. Anybody want
>to guess?

Thanks, to show our gratitude we will take your observations, create a fix,
use it as a competitive advantage for the Tech Center, then sell that fix
in 2001 or 2002 as an
upgrade ;-)

or, in 2000 your machine will be obsolete and only desk top units will be
serviced.
Which does bring up a point, does 3-D or anyone else have any projections on
the life expectancy of a 250 or 500? Any thoughts on when they will be
totally obsolete due to technical advances in other systems or models.

Regards,

Kevin Robertson