Re: a idea for an evolution

From: Lee Humphrey (Lee.Humphrey@lmco.com)
Date: Tue Apr 28 1998 - 02:07:30 EEST

---------------------------- Forwarded with Changes ---------------------------
From: lblasch@opw-fc.com at MAILHUB-SMTP
Date: 4/27/98 1:43PM
*To: rp-ml@bart.lpt.fi at MAILHUB-SMTP
*To: elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu at MAILHUB-SMTP
Subject: Re: a idea for an evolution

The adhesive from rocks could be types of cement, such as Portland, however most
of those that I have heard of use limestone which presupposes prior life on that
planet, maybe calcium carbonate can be made from other sources present. Best
bet may be ceramic types of binders, clays maybe. Igneous fused powdered
inorganics from gigawatt powered IR solid state lasers could be building
material although a bit brittle.

Actual organic adhesives may be made from breaking up and recombining organics
such as ammonia and methane which seem to be available on most of the planets
around here except mercury.

Questions seem to come back to available energy. Everything you do to change
anything takes energy, more than likely we won't have forest to burn or fossil
fuels readily present. Seems like the number 1 item to take is some type of
energy source such as a pocket sized cold fusion reactor. But this is all moot
after you have died of hunger, thirst, or lack of oxygen.

It would seem if you had to go to stay on another planet you should pick it
wisely. How well would explorers 500 - 1000 years ago have survived if there
were not peoples already living at their destinations. We would have to solve
the same basic types of problems they did, only presumably with technology
instead of the natives to assist or live off of. Very few of the ancient
explorers ever planned on not receiving goods from home to get established. This
puts an interesting twist on every aspect.

What types of attributes do you think would make a planet an attractive
candidate for settlement and where/when would RP come into play?

Lee Humphrey
Author: lblasch@opw-fc.com at MAILHUB-SMTP
Date: 4/27/98 1:43 PM

Elaine,

I may be mistaken, but I think that NASA is already working on this idea.

I would swear that I read about a project underway to determine the basic
materials and processes necessary to do this.

Question, If you load the Z402 with ground up rock dust, what kind of adhesive
can you spray that can be extacted from rocks?

Larry Blasch
System Administrator

OPW Fueling Components
P.O. Box 405003
Cincinnati, OH 45240-5003 USA

Voice: (513) 870-3356
Fax: (513) 870-3338

"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else." *