Re: Best CAM Software

From: Steve_Farentinos (sfarenti@scf.usc.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 23 1998 - 16:43:41 EEST

Terry,

The best CAM systems are, in addition to providing the required functinality,
tightly integrated into a CAD environment. For example, it is very useful to
have a tool path automatically updated after making a parametric edit to the
CAD geometry. Or, you may want to make a change to the CAD Solid during a
CAM programming session. This can only be accomplished if the CAD and CAM
systems use the same part database and are capable of communicating with
eachother. Also, the issue of data translation (IGES, STEP, VDA-FS) is
eliminated.
There are several integrated systems out there, including Varimetrix,
Unigraphics and Pro/engineer. I presume CATIA, Euclid and others provide
similar functionality.

There is a trend in this direction with many systems that started out as
mid-range CAM programs. Cimatron, for example, now offers advanced surface
and solid modeling. The alliance between SolidWorks and SurfCAM is an effort
in the same direction.

Other factors to consider include:
* A robust and easy to use post-processor environment
* Tool path verification with collision detection
* Ability to set-up tool, speed/feed and machine libraries
* easy cut-and-paste type manipulation of cutting operations
* automatic fixture and clamp avoidance

Steve

--
Steve Farentinos