Re: Best CAM Software

From: Alain BERNARD (bernard@cran.u-nancy.fr)
Date: Thu Apr 23 1998 - 15:42:59 EEST

Terry,

I agree with Leonel. We used Euclid and Strim100 softwares for a long time.
Nowadays, we are testing Euclid Qantum (module Machinist) with several
companies and I think that it is one of the best CAM module. It works in 3
axis machining, the 2 1/2 module will be available in a few months.
I could also mention CATIA NC module which is used by so many companies.
We speak about technical capabilities, and not about economical ratio.
Perhaps these products are to expensive, but i France I know many SMEs that
use them.
We are also interested in TOPCAM from Missler, based on Parasolid modeler
and TopSolid modeler. We have not yet results from tests.

I do not know if this view of practise is a significant argument for CAM
evaluation. I hope it will help you in your study.
If you need more information about experience, please let me know.

Looking forward to meeting you in Dearborn,

Best regards,

Prof. A. BERNARD

A 11:05 23/04/98 +0100, vous avez écrit :
>Hi List,
>
>Well, what is the best product for you Terry? I believe you could only
>make this question with a chart.
>
>I was a CAD/CAM user long before becoming trainer (presently). When you
>are a common user, you often only have the chance to compare the two or
>three systems you experience. I have found in many companies I train
>EUCLID/Machinist (Matra Datavision) a secondary CAM software. There are
>several reasons for this, some of them are related with some limitations
>there were on its antecessor, the STRIM100 CAM (it made no Z level at
>that time).
>
>Still, in Portugal STRIM100 was leading the 3 AXIS market for many
>years. I believed worldly too, but in Portugal I can assure it by the
>number of seats. And the rates are not like the one you present. By the
>way, is that world or USA market you are talking about?
>
>And where am I getting at? My contribution was that, many trainees of
>ours prefer us because of our customers support policy (we are
>Portuguese distributors only). It's simply very efficient (those words
>are not mine). Surely not because of low price (as Greg Pettengill
>suggests "Anvil Express from MCS").
>
>You see Terry, you are aiming this question to high level users. Many
>Portuguese CAM users have only the knowledge the run the CAM application
>on their computer, and could not tell you who Pitagoras was and what its
>theorem is about.
>
>I only felt I should make this contribution because Portugal is a
>worldly authority on producing Tools for Moulds and Dies, very demanding
>on CAM Software. Now guess what, of course CAM is not developed in
>Portuguese. I this cases you do not only need a good Software but good
>support from the distributor. But don't worry with my arguments, I feel
>very comfortable with EUCLID/Machinist's performance…
>
>Leonel Graça
>Distrim, Lda mailto:leonel.g@distrim.pt
>P.O. Box 199 http://www.distrim.pt
>2432 Marinha Grande Codex http://www.matra-datavision.com
>Portugal
>Tel: 044 57 4000 Fax: 044 57 3001

Prof. Alain BERNARD Tel : + 33 (0)3 83 91 27 29
Professeur des Universites + 33 (0)3 83 91 20 09
CRAN ESA CNRS 7039 Fax : + 33 (0)3 83 91 23 90
UHP Nancy I - ESIAL
BP n° 239, 54506 - VANDOEUVRE Cedex - FRANCE
ATTENTION ! NEW E-MAIL !
e-mail : alain.bernard@cran.u-nancy.fr http://www.cran.u-nancy.fr