joke of the week (I did not write this)

From: Elaine Hunt (elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 17 1998 - 21:01:11 EEST

>MS-GIRLFRIEND
>
> I'm currently running the latest version of Microsoft GirlFriend and
> I've been having some problems lately. I've been running the same
> Version of MS DrinkingBuddies 1.0 forever as my primary application,
> and all the GirlFriend releases I've tried have always conflicted with
> it. I hear that DrinkingBuddies won't crash if GirlFriend is run in
> background mode and the sound is turned off.
>
> But I'm embarrassed to say I can't find the switch to turn the sound
> off. I just run them separately, and it works okay. Girlfriend also
> seems to have a problem coexisting with my MS Golf program, often
> trying to abort Golf with some sort of timing incompatibility.
>
> I probably should have stayed with GirlFriend 1.0, but I thought I
> Might see better performance from GirlFriend 2.0. After months of
> conflicts and other problems, I consulted a friend who has had
> experience with GirlFriend 2.0. He said I probably didn't have enough
> cache to run GirlFriend 2.0, and eventually it would require a Token
> Ring to run properly. He was right - as soon as I purged my cache, it
> un installed itself.
>
> Shortly after that, I installed GirlFriend 3.0 beta. All the bugs were
> supposed to be gone, but the first time I used it, it gave me a virus
> anyway. I had to clean out my whole system and shut down for a while.
>
> I very cautiously upgraded to GirlFriend 4.0. This time I used a SCSI
> probe first and also installed a virus protection program. It worked
> okay for a while until I discovered that GirlFriend 1.0 was still in my
> system. I tried running GirlFriend 1.0 again with GirlFriend 4.0 still
> installed, but GirlFriend 4.0 has a feature I didn't know about that
> automatically senses the presence of any other version of GirlFriend
>and
> communicates with it in some way, which results in the immediate
>removal
> of both versions.
>
> The version I have now works pretty well, but there are still some
> problems. Like all versions of GirlFriend, it is written in some
> obscure language I can't understand, much less reprogram. Frankly I
> thinkthere is too much attention paid to the look and feel rather than
> the desired functionality. Also, to get the best connections with your
> hardware, you usually have to use gold-plated contacts. And I've never
> liked how GirlFriend is totally "object-oriented."
>
> A year ago, a friend of mine upgraded his version of GirlFriend to
> GirlFriendPlus 1.0, which is a Terminate and Stay Resident version of
> GirlFriend. He discovered that GirlFriendPlus 1.0 expires within a
>year
> if you don't upgrade to Fiancee 1.0. So he did, but soon after that,
>he
> had to upgrade to Wife 1.0, which he describes as a huge resource hog.
>It
> [...]

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine T. Hunt, Director
Clemson University Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
206 Fluor Daniel Bldg. Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
http://chip.eng.clemson.edu/rp/persall/elaine.html