Re: About part orientation

From: gautham@asu.edu
Date: Mon Apr 06 1998 - 20:21:30 EEST

Juhoo,
        In continuation of the previous mail by Dr.Henderson, I would
like to add that we are evaluating a orientation based on the
resultant surface roughness when the part is built on a FDM machine.
We have the data for surface roughness for planar surfaces at various
orientations and it is our belief that it can be translated to
cylindrical and freeform surfaces too.
        THere are a couple of good papers around that discuss this issue.
To quote a couple - a paper (its his thesis too) by David Thompson (SFF
symposium (1996?), Determining fabrication orientations for RP with
stereolithgraphy apparatus - Po-Ting Lan, Chou, Chen, Gemmill - Compputer
Aided Design- v29.n1 Jan97.

Gautham

 Gautham Kattethota Home : 950, South Terrace Road, #C349
 Grad. student, Tempe AZ 85281
 Dept. of MAE,Mail Code: 6106 Res Ph# : (602)967-4362
 Arizona State University, Off Ph# : (602)965-7830
 Tempe, AZ 85287 Email : gautham@asu.edu