Vacuum casting

From: Pedro Garayo (pedgar@cidaut.eis.uva.es)
Date: Wed Apr 02 1997 - 22:51:50 EEST

Hello, rpmlers.

It's always a pleasure for me to post questions in this list, because
I'm answered so fast!!
Besides looking after their own businesses, people in this list really
seem to care about the rest of us and the direction this RPD stuff is
heading.

My question is about vacuum casting of polyurethanes. At my business we
built a year ago a medium sized vacuum machine for casting of PUR based
prototypes. We used to make models and parts just for ourselves. Now we
are trying to get into market. One of my clients wants to make PUR
prototypes for two parts (50 prototypes per part): one has to be made in
a rigid resin with high mechanical behaviour (it has to withstand some
displacements in elastic mode) and the second must be made of an
elastomer like resin (with 40 shore A or so). Both prototypes are to be
mounted in a bigger mechanism and they must more or less work. Which are
the best resins for these applications?? regarding the vacuum process,
are there any specific characteristics to be taking into account??
To build my first model I will be using either SLA or SLS.

Thanks for your help in advance. Regards.

Pedro.