RE: if things are so great then

From: Brock Hinzmann (bhinzmann@sric.sri.com)
Date: Thu Apr 02 1998 - 19:48:13 EEST

elaine,

Thanks for giving us that price point target. Of course, in two years,
that'll be $10k instead of $20k, but at least we know what you think it is
now.

How about some of you other RP customers out there. If you had a $20k
machine right now, that could make a prototype in any material, plastic,
metal or ceramic, how many more would you buy than what you own now, for whom
would you buy them (skill level, i.e. how simple will it have to be to
operate?), and what would you expect them to use it for? If you don't own an
RP machine now, would such a $20k machine put you in the market and for
how many machines?

This is not a hypothetical question.

Brock Hinzmann

Elaine Hunt wrote:
> Why are you up in front of audiences talking about the great things you
>are doing? Why is it people cry how great things are but when you look
>around you can't find people who are willing to take the risk, get up
and
>say what's happening. All I hear are the doom sayers and maybe that
>reflects on who is speaking the loudest or the longest. Did you think I
>would let you sit on the sidelines and NOT say something? BTW....you
can't
>plead no conference time since AUTOFACT, AUSTIN, NOTTINGHAM, etc are
still
>coming up. I will be watching the papers.
>
>I KNOW what is going on in the industry and I know it's positive but I
>DON"T hear it except in small groups or in one on one discussions.
>
>I know where I want the industry to go..... to that push button machine
>that sits in every student lab for every student that needs to be able
>print a 3d model.
>
>No Brad......schools can't afford the 60k price tag of an Actua or
Z-Corp