Re: Maestro Upgrade

From: Andrzejewski, Jan (jan_andrzejewski@peragroup.com)
Date: Thu Apr 02 1998 - 13:47:00 EEST

Elaine wrote,

>A student just brought me his research parts built using the latest Maestro

>upgrade and they are flat test samples but have the strangest pattern
>on top of them...I could understand the problem if it was all over the
>surface but it seems to follow feature or sections.

This pattern is not related to a software version but is typical of all SLA
builds but some are more visible than others depending on the size of the
Cross Sectional Area and the accuracy of resin thickness deposited on the
surface.

The pattern is derived from the methodology of hatch/fill vector 'tool'
paths starting by first connecting internal borders with external borders at
small positions over the top CSA and then filling the remaining area
starting from one axis origin and working its way across the part.

This can be observed during the build and seems to be causing a very small
bow wave that results in a small ridge when it meets the small areas that
were produced by anchoring the internal border s to the external borders.

3D could address this problem by differentiating between top facing surfaces
and down facing surfaces and having the anchoring routine for the down
facing surfaces and a single pass from one
edge to the other for the top facing surfaces.

Jan Andrzejewski
RP Operations Manager
Pera