Re: Delrin Molds

From: Kelly Hand (kelly@satellitemodels.com)
Date: Thu Mar 26 1998 - 09:25:08 EET

The follow is a string that I have been carry off line with Mark Schanze.
The information is very helpful. I was sure that others on the list would
find it useful and Mark has graciously agreed to let me share it with the
list.

Kelly Hand

At 10:28 AM 3/26/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I use Ciba RP 4036 Aluminum Filled Epoxy for my molds. When I make a mold
from a rigid master I usually lay up a print layer of a high temp. laminate
material. This does not work on silicone. The 4036 material is hard to
deair and needs 2% of PTM&W's PA0550 Bubble Breaker (213 946 4511) added
before deairing. Then partially fill the mold and deair the material again
in the mold. Finish filling the mold and cure for 24 hours @ 30 psi. The
Epoxy shrinks .03% by the third day of cure. For high temp. applications
you will need to postcure the epoxy mold as per Ciba instructions. This
appears not to induce more shrink. Use RP 1500 hardener (your mold is
small, right?) Deair this material a full 29 in. hg. and hold it there for
a while. You'll see what I mean. If the material doesn't collapse you
haven't deaired it. There are lots of other epoxies to use. Call Ciba
for some help. If it gets confusing use the 4036. Should we post these
conversations on the RP ML?