Re: CATIA-to-STL (was: IGES to STL)

From: Daniel Corcoran (corcor@ibm.net)
Date: Wed Mar 18 1998 - 19:12:09 EET

Hello people,

I have extensive experience with STL generation from CATIA. When ever I
received an STL file from CATIA the file was always small and easy to
process. Most of the files we generate from CATIA can be emailed. I think
you will find that the resolution chosen for your parts is way to high to be
producing such large files. Try a SAG value of 0.03 and "MAX size of
Triangles" of 200 (this will depend on the part). Solids and volumes convert
extremely well. To convert a surface model it would be better to join all the
faces together into a skin first. This eliminates the problems of reversed
normals and gaps.

I hope this can help?

Daniel Corcoran