rpml re: solid edge

From: Andrzejewski, Jan (jan_andrzejewski@peragroup.com)
Date: Mon Mar 16 1998 - 17:12:00 EET

Todd Reese has problems with stl file from Solid Edge.

I am assuming that the stl file has gone through an STL verification
routine ( which one ? )
and that it is a question of missing triangles and no just triangle normals
pointing the wrong way.

Then it is a problem that should be directed to the vendors help desk and
not another transfer route sought as others have suggested.

Two incidences from other packages were:
1 special multi operational surfacing routine.
2 Poor solids cutting operation
In both cases a change of methodology in the way the surface was created or
cutting operation performed cured the problem.

The onus should be on the CAD vendor to ensure that their software checks
the topology validity of both CAD geometry and the STL file that it
produces, otherwise its just garbage producing garbage.

All users should insist that STL interfaces from the CAD packages they
purchase actually perform well and if possible get an independent source to
validate the data. Maybe this is a project that a University could get their
teeth into, a database of good and bad CAD interface outputs.

If its not been done already and members of the RPML were prepared to
participate I would certainly like to undertake this as part of a Pera
project.

Jan Andrzejewski
RP Operations Manager
Pera.