Re: My stop sign broke

From: Guy Allen Brady (galbrady@engin.umich.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 11 1998 - 19:41:30 EET

Two words: fracture mechanics.

You're extending a fatigue crack in the material - each little flex
lengthens a crack and I would venture to guess this little trinket has
quite a stress concentrator at the base of the "sign" near the stem. It is
this stress concentration which takes your tiny applied moment and
magnifies it at the crack tip. Once the crack has lengthened to a critical
value: "bink", two pieces.

Al
          G. Allen Brady -- Graduate Research Assistant
Materials Science and Engineering - The University of Michigan
2219 H.H. Dow Bldg. 2300 Hayward Street Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2136
work: 313/936-0177 fax: 313/747-4807 email: galbrady@umich.edu
           http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~galbrady