Sla's with pentium controllers

From: Kaza, Srinivas (skaza@CA1.plynex.com)
Date: Sat Feb 28 1998 - 02:18:14 EET

Couple of questions for the minds out there:

1. System delay tends to a big problem on the SLA machines - especially
when we have a large number of small vectors and/or high photo speeds.
So here is a question - does anyone have any information or observations
on how the system delays on either the 250's or 500's change when you
updated from a DOS / 486 based controller to an NT / pentium based
controller? Also, has anyone observed a change in system delays based
on how much RAM you had on your machines?

2. Has anyone tried using NT buildstation software on a beefed up 486
machine (i.e. extra RAM)? If so what are your experiences? My
experience tells me it's a bad idea but I'm hoping I'm wrong.

I am trying to come up with a list of benefits of using NT/Pentium based
controllers as opposed to DOS/486 based (BTW, an upgrade costs around
$6000). One reason I can think of is that the hexagon quickcast style
does not run on DOS. I am hoping the new controllers are better than
the old ones. I would greatly appreciate any information anyone can
share with me and the list.

thanks

srini

Srinivas Kaza
Plynetics Express Corp. - San Leandro, CA

email: skaza@ca1.plynex.com
web: http://www.plynetics.com
ph: (510)-613-8300
fax: (510)-632-6682