Re: LOM using DXF models

From: Michael Tsenter (nest@primenet.com)
Date: Sat Feb 21 1998 - 01:15:08 EET

Dear Ralph:

You can try our Rapid Tools software to convert AutoCAD IGES files into
STL files. Our IGES converter can isolate a variety of problems on the
IGES level (duplicate surfaces, self-intersections, missing surfaces,
etc.), and then triangulate the file according to user defined
resolution.

Our STL repair module has two methods of automatically fixing gaps by
moving vertices or adding new elements to "stich" the gap. You can
also separate multiple objects from one STL file, and then combine the
good ones using our Boolean functions.

Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Michael Tsenter

--
DeskArtes - North America
a division of NEST Technologies

Tel: 818-761-6500 Fax: 818-761-6116 e-mail: nest@primenet.com web site: http://www.primenet.com/~nest/

rgibson3 wrote: > > I've just recently started importing AutoCAD DXF files in order > to produce LOM models and have been noticing that these DXF files > typically don't convert smoothly to STL files. I'm using Solid Concept's SolidView application and must perform a considerable amount of repairs on the DXF file, in SolidView, in order to produce a machineable STL file. > The most common symptoms within the DXF files are unshared > edges, wrongly oriented facets, and numerous "shells". If anyone has > some experience with this, I loved to hear from you. > > Ralph Gibson III > rgibson3@erols.com > > For more information about the rp-ml, see http://ltk.hut.fi/rp-ml/