re: VIRUS NOTICE!!!!

From: bvanhiel@nordson.com
Date: Tue Feb 10 1998 - 20:45:58 EET

o not send virus notices. They are 99.999999999% false. They are
themselves a form of virus. Spreading through the email programs of
internet newbies. Consider yourself vaccinated with this knowledge: "email
is only ascii text, ascii text can't hurt me". Repeat the mantra if you
are ever in doubt. Only an executable can replicate itself or hurt your
computer (with the rare exception of embedded macros in documents).

If you actually believe a virus notice to be authentic (which yours is not,
it is one of the most widley circulated and I've read it at least 15 times
over the last few years), you should check with the CIAC virus page
(http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHome.html).

I realize you were trying to do a good thing, but DON'T DO IT AGAIN. You
have performed the classic newbie blunder: you believed something you
recieved through email without verification. By the same token, don't
believe everything I say: go find out for yourself.

-Brian

Brian VanHiel
Mechanical Engineer
Nordson Corp.