RE: Problems with Autodesk products

From: Terry Wohlers (twohlers@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Feb 08 1998 - 19:11:57 EET

Yong Zheng wrote:

> SolidEdge and MicroStation and the running up of SolidWorks? Spatial
> claims that ACIS still dominates the Geometric Modeling Kernel market.

Yes -- ACIS dominates in terms of unit installations. Currently, there are
more than 870,000 ACIS seats, compared to an estimated 60,000 Parasolid
seats, according to Spatial Technology. However, most of the established
CAD solid modeling vendors are now using either Parasolid or their own
"home-grown" modeling engine. Spatial seems to be targeting high-volume
markets such as Autodesk’s AutoCAD and Mechanical Desktop, Baystate’s
CADKEY, and Ashlar’s Vellum 3D.

Terry Wohlers
Wohlers Associates, Inc.
twohlers@compuserve.com

P.S. Some of you may be interested in knowing that our web site (Wohlers
Web World) has been updated. Also, I'm happy to report that the number of
visitors has topped the 19,000 mark.