Re: Summary of machine rates

From: Brad Fox (rdt@visi.com)
Date: Thu Jan 15 1998 - 16:55:38 EET

Group:

Terry wrote:

>As you're well aware, there are many ways of
>calculating the cost of building RP models for customers. Many have tied
>the cost to machine build time. Approximately what do you charge customers
>per hour for machine time using one or more of these machines?

Lets get real folks. Before everyone gets euphoric with their new strategic
information on hourly rates, let's stop for a second and ask a few questions:

1) rates are all over the board - why? Market demands, Technology, or....?

2) I would be interested in (conceptually) what were the components that
determined their figures? The figures stated really mean nothing until this
is defined.

During my days in the SB biz, I remember tracking (plotting) my true cost of
ownership vs. the revenue (per machine) on an hourly basis. A few of the
components included:
  - Capital cost of the machine taking into account depreciation, etc.
  - Cost of lab/area the machine lives in
  - Cost of the service agreement
  - Cost of consumables (material, lasers, tips, etc.)
  - Cost of marketing the service
  - Cost of warranty work
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY...
  - COST OF THE PERSON RUNNING THE MACHINE

We did factor in economies of scale, but the bottom line is that "reported"
hourly rates were never, ever true reflection of the cost to own and operate
the RP machine. If you are a capitive in-house shop and charge your
corporate client $20 to $35 an hour, you belong in government! (yea, right
we have a balanced budget!!) For instance, a good RP technician with
benefits could easily cost $35.00 alone. IF you are a SB, the situation is
compounded.

I think Jim P's comment is worth noting too. Many companies utilize the RP
as a pattern for additional add on work. This would/could effect the hourly
rate a company would charge.

As always, the above is IMHO...

Ciao,

Brad Fox