RE: Hybrid Machines

From: Lightman, Allan J (Lightman@udri.udayton.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 15 1997 - 20:45:27 EET

Yakov,

I saw such a machine about a year ago at ACR in Tucson, AZ. They were
funded by DARPA. The machine was a CNC (5-axis as I recall) with an
auxiliary delivery head which held an extrusion system, similar to the
multi-jet solidification system from the Fraunhofer Institute. The goal
was to lay down material and then use the CNC to profile the edges and
dimension the layer thickness. They may have also looked into
multi-component deposition. They told me that the work was being done
together with Professor Fritz Prinz at Stanford.

Allan J. Lightman, Ph.D.
http://www.udri.udayton.edu/mat_eng/rpdl.htm
University of Dayton Research Institute
Dayton, OH 45469-0150, USA