Re: Future RP:Possible Quantum Leap for 3D faxing!

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Fri Dec 12 1997 - 14:49:17 EET

George Sachs wrote:

>There is occasional talk here about the future use of RP for 3D faxing. I
>read today that there may already be be a "quantum leap" in the technology
>needed to realize this concept and this goes far beyond anything seriously
>considered to date. A practical application may still be 100 years in the
>future, but it goes to show how even the most abstract, basic and
>theoretical research can lead to discoveries with revolutionary
>implications.

In my view the 3D fax is neither theoretical, abstract, nor
a quantum leap. The technology is there already:
- laser scanners on the one side of the telephone line
- concept modellers on the other
Just 'some software' to be added.

Count on the first commercial systems within 10 years from now,
and affordable systems 15 years.

Looking forward to more interesting new technologies and applications.

Best Regards,

Lex Lennings.

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
Active in CAD/CAM, Rapid Prototyping and NC milling
mailto:info@spline.nl
website:http://www.spline.nl