Re: CONCRETE as backup mat.

From: Guy Allen Brady (galbrady@engin.umich.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 10 1997 - 21:45:30 EET

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Pedro Garayo Olarra wrote:
> Hi rpmlers,
> has anybody knows how does concrete work as a backup material for plastic
> injection molds? How can anybody raise thermal conductivity for concrete?
> What are the main problems in using concrete, instead of a filled resin or
> a low melt alloy? Is it a must to do spray metal for concrete; I mean, how
> does concrete work with abrasion?

To raise the tc for concrete, add metallic particles (copper is best). For
best results, try cutting up some copper wires then add it to the cement
mix - that will add to the toughness of the resulting composite.
Say, that's a neat idea....I guess it's not patentable now - darn.

Allen
          G. Allen Brady -- Graduate Research Assistant
Materials Science and Engineering - The University of Michigan
2219 H.H. Dow Bldg. 2300 Hayward Street Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2136
work: 313/936-0177 fax: 313/747-4807 email: galbrady@umich.edu
           http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~galbrady