Re: RP & Footware

From: Steve Rotzin (stever@scanlab3d.com)
Date: Tue Dec 02 1997 - 22:31:02 EET

Terry Wohlers Wrote:

"The idea of laser scanning a foot and using this data to
custom-manufacture
an inner sole or support is not new, but I've yet to see anyone make a
business of it on a large-scale, consumer basis"

You are right in saying laser scanning a foot is not new, however there is
a company in Italy "making a business out of it". Large scale? Depends
upon what you consider large scale. If you mean selling shoes, employing
people and paying taxes... I believe so. Will NIKE ever do it, or a major
retailer like Foot Locker? I doubt it, until we can laser scan a pair feet
and port directly to rapid modeller for a "microwave" insert....., we will
be left scanning feet for people who can either afford it or people who
"need" it done, medical or otherwise.

Stephen Rotzin
Scanlab 3D
1054-C Shary Circle
Concord, CA 94518
510-676-1280 tel / 1288 fax
mailto:stever@scanlab3d.com
http://www.scanlab3d.com

"Scanning the Globe for a Constant Variety of Objects"
      "You know it all ball bearings and 3 in 1 oil"