Re: RP & Footware

From: Marshall Burns (marshall@ennex.com)
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 20:31:41 EET

Yakov Horenstein wrote:

> Has anyone done any work using RP for the shoe industry? Can someone
> point me to an article on the subject?

Dear Yakov,

     Nike has used desktop mills to craft shoe soles from CAD designs,
and they've at least thought about using additive fabbers if they
haven't already done it.

    Oakley, the trendy sunglasses manufacturer which is getting ready to
go into the shoe business head-to-head with Nike, has had an SLA since
the early days, but is very secretive about their use of it.

    It's an interesting question you pose, Yakov. I keep seeing ads from
sporting shoe companies, such as Foot Locker, about specialty fitting
services. There have been articles about ski boots made to order by
casting the foot in a foam mold material. And there is a store in Los
Angeles that fits customers for custom made shoes that are manufactured
in Italy.

Best Regards,
Marshall Burns
marshall@ennex.com