RE: STL file toolkit

From: Masuo Namme (namme-m@ma.kcom.ne.jp)
Date: Mon Nov 17 1997 - 20:33:31 EET

> STL files are still a problem. Most of the bad ones we see can be
> attributed to "non-standard CAD practices". Another way to say that is
> that our students ignore construction errors or warnings during the
> solid modeling session. They figure that if it looks OK on the screen,
> it must be fine.
>
> I see the same thing from industry as well. Many of the companies that
> I work with on design cycle optimization have high end CAD systems.
> However, they tend to spend the money on hardware and software, but
> neglect training issues. This becomes a real issue over several releases
> of software with no update training for users.
>
> The parametric/variational solid modelers are excellent tools that are
> becoming easier to use, however knowledgeable users are the key. I see
> modeling warnings/errors that are ignored from PTC/SDRC/Solidworks users
> all the time. These types of errors can easily cause open STL files and
> reversed normals.
>

> Tim Gornet

Dear Tim,

I guess Elaine also saw the performance of the new STL file developed by
Armonicos, a
Japanese software house, at last Autofact.
The STL data created by this new STL format has the topology of each triangles,
so the
fault of the data is drastically decreased.
Armonicos said they can release the English version by next February.
You can see some of their products in their homepage,
http://www.armonicos.co.jp.

Masuo Namme
Shonan Design CoLtd