Re: Green-body fabrication technique comparison

From: Marshall Burns (marshall@ennex.com)
Date: Fri Nov 14 1997 - 05:04:44 EET

An RP-ML subscriber wrote:

> hi,
> Can you please tell me what you mean by 'green-body fabrication'

Dear RP-World,

    I apologize for using jargon in the list without explaining it.

    A green body is the thing that is used in a "sintering" process to
get a
solid ceramic or metal object from an initial powder. The common example
of
these processes is in pottery, in which clay is shaped into a pot or
other
object and then put in a kiln (furnace) to bake out the water and sinter
(a
lot like melting) the clay (a ceramic powder) into a solid mass. In
industrial
processes, a green body is made of a ceramic or metal powder with a
smaller
amount of plastic or other material that holds the powder together in a
specific shape. The green body is then put in a furnace where the
plastic is
burned away and the powder particles are fused by sintering just as in
the
case of the pottery example.

    It is called a green body by analogy to lumber, which is called
"green"
before it is treated in a furnace to get rid of internal moisture.

    What is exciting today is the ability to use a fabricator to make
the
green body. Previously, green bodies had to be made by molding, which
requires
tooling, which is very expensive. A fabricator allows you to make a
small
number of green bodies economically, making prototype and low-volume
production economical like never before.

Best Regards,
Marshall Burns
marshall@ennex.com

***** ENNEX(TM) FABRICATION TECHNOLOGIES