Re: IGES data transfer from CATIA

From: Sarvajit S Sinha (sss@iware.com)
Date: Fri Oct 31 1997 - 01:40:42 EET

With regards to this thread of messages:

Surfacer will trim with either 2D Curves-on-surface trims or 3D trim curves.
This is not the problem.

The real problem is on the CATIA end, and is in the settings for the IGES
write. CATIA keeps a trimmed surface (a FACE) and its untrimmed base (SURF) as
seperate entities in its database. If you do not have your write options set
correctly, CATIA will write everything- surfaces and faces(trimmed surfaces)
(of the same entity) into the IGES file. Of course this is a duplication
resulting in untrimmed surfaces and trimmed ones. You need to write only FACES
on the CATIA end to get the transfer to work correctly. Or ask your supplier to
write it this way.

Our CATIA Databridge does not suffer from this problem since we have written the
complete interface ourselves.

For any further assistance, do not hesitate to call our toll-free support
line at 1-888-262-0226 or e-mail support@iware.com.

Sarvajit Sinha

At 05:05 PM 10/29/97 -0800, you wrote:
>At 04:14 PM 10/29/97 PST, you wrote:
>>I've been having problems importing IGES files from CATIA. When I open the
>files on Surfacer (Imageware) I always get untrimmed surfaces and some
>missing surfaces. Does anyone out there in RP land have any solution to
>importing CATIA IGES files.
>>
>>Does anyone know any service beaureau that use CATIA and CATIA Databridge
>(Imageware)?
>>

>Luther V Diaz Yap
>
>Most IGES input routines have trouble with CATIA because they define their
>trim curves with cartesian (x,y,z) coordinates instead of the industry
>standard parametric (u,v,w) coordinates. If you are just trying to get an
>STL file, the latest version of SolidView with IGES version 2.1 was
>specifically enhanced to handle CATIA and similar formats.
>
>Thanks,
>

>Joe Allison
>Solid Concepts Inc.
>Rapid Prototyping Software and Services
>email: Joe@SolidConcepts.com
>phone: (805) 257-9300
>fax: (805) 257-9311

Dr. Sarvajit Sinha sss@iware.com
Imageware Corp., http://www.iware.com/~sss
USA 323 N.First St, Ann Arbor, MI 48103
        313-994-7301(ph) 313-994-0802(fax)

Europe Coremansstraat 34, 2600 Berchem, Belgium
        (32)3-239-2878(ph) (32)3-239-3330 (fax) (32)95-520503(mobile)