The "3D Sculpture" item: Not really RP or New

From: George Sachs (sachs@pipeline.com)
Date: Thu Oct 30 1997 - 22:56:22 EET

You are basically correct. That is why the product does not appear to be
patented or even patent pending. What is the novel part, is making a low
cost and mass marketed "toy" from more commercially oriented technology. As
is the case with most general consumer goods offered for sale, it is not
necessary that the product be totally original or patented and it isn't even
worthwhile to do so (patent) if the shelf life will only be 1-3 years (for
instance with software). By the way, I don't think it was actually conceived
at Hasbro, since two Englishman (sorry, don't have their names right now)
copyrighted the idea in 1995. I don't know if any of the JP5 people had
anything to do with it, but if they didn't, it goes to show what different
people see in the same technology (this is interesting in and of itself). By
the way, there are a number of patents on very similar products going WAY
back (Stillman #2,242,631 in 1941 for one), also I don't know if the JP5
method was patented (or could be) because of this extensive prior art.
Matters involving intellectual property, idea origination and lineage are
very complex, quite subjective and probably not of great interest to most
list members (maybe with the exception of Andrew Young), but I would be
happy to correspond with anyone interested in dicussing this kind of thing
(as it relates to RP) further.

George Sachs
Paradyme Systems