Re: RP? A cute LOM based novelty item!

From: Novac, Andrei (anovac@ptc.com)
Date: Thu Oct 30 1997 - 19:34:55 EET

The "new" toy described doesn't seem new to me. I would have a very
hard time believing that the R&D group at Hasbro hasn't seen Schroff
Development's JP System 5 - low cost desktop concept modeler! (if
you're not familiar with JP System 5 - check out www.JPSYSTEM5.com), or
the research efforts of Dr. Charles Thomas, University of Utah
(www.tenga.com).

JP System 5 has been on the market for approx. 2 years and it is
marketed as an educational tool for introducing people to the concepts
of Rapid Prototyping.
Parts are created on JP System 5 from layers cut on a sign-making
plotter equipped with a knife blade. The layers are manually stacked on
a registration board to create the part.
JP System 5 evolved from Shapemaker I - a low cost educational tool for
RP developed by Dr. Charles Thomas and his students at the University of
Utah.

The 3D puzzle comes with pre-cut layers that need to be sorted and
stacked on a registration board to generate a sculpture of a famous
person. Again a very familiar theme to those who read any papers
published by the RP research groups at the U of Utah or CAM/LEM - Case
Western - groups that have made extensive use of human head models as
examples for their Layered Manufacturing research.

As I had used JP System 5 and its predecessor - Shapemaker I, I felt
compelled to make these clarifications for those who may not be aware of
this background information.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above are strictly personal and
don't reflect those of my employer.

--
Andrei S. Novac
Implementation Engineer