RE: 3D printers - what are they?

From: Preston Smith (preston@europa.com)
Date: Sun Oct 26 1997 - 08:14:20 EET

At 09:43 AM 10/15/97 -0400, Marina Hatsopoulos wrote:

>>But back to the metrics. Rapid? OK, faster than other RP machines, but
>>still slower than making crude concept models from foam.
>>
>>Brock Hinzmann
>>SRI International
>
>In fact, this is not at all the case relative to Z Corp.'s Z402 system. We
>challenge anyone to make a foam model of any complex geometry in the time we
>can print it out on our system. We have virtually no geometric limitations
>and a print speed that is an order of magnitude faster than any other system
>on the market.
>
>Marina Hatsopoulos
>Z Corporation
>617-628-2781

Another big advantage of 3D printers over hand-made foam models is that
they exhibit all of the warts that may be in the solid model data base,
whereas the foam models are subject to inevitable human interpretation.

Regards,
Preston Smith CMC

New Product Dynamics tel: +1 (503) 248-0900
Portland, Oregon USA fax: +1 (503) 294-1192