RE: New English -- NON RP

From: DANIEL CHARLES DAVIS (daniel@proton.com.my)
Date: Sat Oct 25 1997 - 11:36:00 EEST

Gee, Terry, from the first few paragraphs it sounded like they were
going to "implement" Bahasa Melayu (Malay/Indonesian language)! I smell
a conspiracy: first the Lippo Group buys President Clinton and now
they're after the EU, the English language and all we Westerners hold
dear!!

Seriously, its' strange how jokes can be closer to real life that one
expects. For example:

> In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will
> make
> the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in
> favor of
> the "k". This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have 1 less
> letter.

Yep, that's Malay. Except here, they do not include an 'h' to indicate
the hard sound. If you see a 'c' in a Malay word, you are just supposed
to know to pronounce it 'ch'!! (i.e., cat, pronounced ch ah t, means
paint)

> There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the
> troublesome "ph" will be replaced with the "f". This will make words
> like
> "fotograf" 20% shorter.

This too!

> In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted
> reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.
> Governments
> will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a
> deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of

And this.......

Cheers,
Dan Davis
> Division Head, RP&M
> Perusahaan Otomobil Nasional Berhad (PROTON)
Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA
******My opinions, not my employers!************