Re: Reverse Engineering

From: Sean Ryan (ryan@rtp.ericsson.se)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 16:45:45 EEST

Hello Roald,

Try contacting CGI (stands for "Capture Geometry Inside" (I think)).
They are in the St. Paul, Minnesota area and have a machine that can
mill a 2D layer of a part embedded in a potting compund, laser scan
each layer at 600 DPI or so, and generate a 3D point cloud of data.
The point cloud can be read into some CAD programs (Pro/VERIFY is one,
Imageware is another ( http://www.iware.com ), I think) and converted
into an IGES file.

They have a web site; http://www.reverse-eng.com. The machine costs
about$100K US or so.

It's brought to you by the brother of the founder of Stratasys
FDM RP systems. One brother builds parts layer by layer; the other
brother cuts them up layer by layer.

Regards,
Sean Ryan
Advanced Mechanical Development