RE: dtm rapid tooling

From: Phil Malone (phil.malone@fp.co.nz)
Date: Mon Oct 20 1997 - 23:17:50 EEST

Hi Barney Sing

Thanks for the costing information , it is refreshing to get a users opinion of a process rather than a sales driven one .
What cost per Kilo does the DTM metal powder material work out to be ( $100US/Kg?) if so then that appears to be a competitive
disadvantage for this process .

Did some of your costs come from the amount of finishing / polishing work required on the inserts? and how did the accuracy stack up for a typical injection mould component .
Our requirements are for producing prototype injection moulds quickly and cheaply for typical runs of 200 parts for life testing prior to final design and production tooling release .

Cheers
Phil Malone