RE: SL Injection moulding gate sizes

From: Deak, Steve (SDeak@hasbro.com)
Date: Tue Sep 30 1997 - 19:38:45 EEST

The need for large gates is to reduce pressure drops and consequently
the pressure needed to inject. Polypropylene runs very well at 400-500
psi and 350 degrees F. We use full round runners of 0.25 inch diameter.
To vent, use a pocket knife to scratch the parting surface at the
farthest points from the runner. Slowly increase pressure if you must
to get a complete fill. Try to keep the face temperatures (core and
cavity) below 110 degrees F for tool life.

A 5 gram shot is not much. You should be successful. When we do parts
of that size, we throw away more runner than the part we keep!
Steve Deak e-mail: sdeak@hasbro.com
Manager-Rapid Prototyping voice: (+1) 513-579-3270
Hasbro Toy Group fax: (+1) 513-579-3250
615 Elsinore Place
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202 USA "Our Business is Fun!"