RE: Low Durometer RP Materials

From: Deak, Steve (SDeak@hasbro.com)
Date: Fri Sep 26 1997 - 15:15:16 EEST

Kevin :

I certainly will post my findings to the rp-ml. The last time I sought
info on STL and CAM Packages, I did post a summary to the list. I agree
entirely with you on the issue of posting results.

We have in-house resources for RTV Silicone rubber molding, casting and
injection molding. In fact, we've done some direct AIM tools and
aluminum tools for this effort in the past. This latest go-'round has
about 10 different configurations (really) in the 60A durometer range
and I'm trying to weed out the bad ones before committing time and labor
to making tools (even AIM tools) and molded parts.

I believe the DTM/Somos material will perform most of what we want in an
RP working prototype. However, I was looking for any other direct
alternative there may be. SL Dupont resin and FDM were probable
candidates to fill the bill, but I did not know if these were successful
in practice.

As of this morning, I have what looks to be 2 immediate solutions.
General Pattern is running the SOMOS 2100 series resins in the SLA. The
second is the DTM/Somos material. A third yet to be investigated is an
FDM Material shown at the SFF conference by researchers at Virginia Poly
Tech.

Thanks to all who responded. I will do some digging and let the list
know the results.

Steve Deak e-mail: sdeak@hasbro.com
Manager-Rapid Prototyping voice: (+1) 513-579-3270
Hasbro Toy Group fax: (+1) 513-579-3250
615 Elsinore Place
Cincinnati, Ohio 45202 USA "Our Business is Fun!"