accuracy

From: Steve_Farentinos (sfarenti@scf.usc.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 23 1997 - 23:03:47 EEST

To all,

There has been some talk recently about accuracy of the various rp
systems. There seems to be a lack of information on this tolpic.
 I would like to follow -up by volunteering to perform an
accuracy study. Here's my idea:

I will measure RP parts submitted by you, the RP community, on my own
time using one of PML's coordinate measuring machines. The data
gathered will be posted on this list and summarized for a project I'm
involved in at the University of Southern California. My hope is to get

as many different parts from as many different people and RP systems as
possible. I would need the CAD surface model from which the STL file
was generated, (IGES, or VDA-FS format), the part to be measured, and
any relevant details about machine settings, resin, build time, etc.

In order to maximize the number of parts in the study, all features will

be inspected against the source surface models using a profile tolerance

zone. We have software tools for this purpose. This will eliminate the

need for dimensioned drawings and would allow the comparison of many
different parts in the same study. The goal here is to get a general
idea of the accuracy we can be expect in the "real world", where a part
is built only one time then shipped to the customer.

Of course, if the response is overwhelming, I will have to limit the
number of parts in the study. I hope to get at least 20 in the next
couple of months.

If you're interested in taking part in this study, please contact me
directly.

--
Steve Farentinos
PML, Inc.