Re: Another Scam specially (Only for N. America)

From: Nyrma Soffel (aaroflex@aaroflex.com)
Date: Fri Sep 12 1997 - 15:45:27 EEST

809 is the area code for the Caribbean, this included Puerto Rico until
last year when the P.R. area code was changed to 787. These area codes
are part the US phone system, and, if you call them, you will be charged
regular long distance rates. Where the extraordinary charges come in is
if you dial an exchange that has a surcharge (I believe the most common
one is 976?) ie. 809-976-5555. Most 809 calls are legitimate.

If an offer is too good to be true or unsolicited, call your phone
company, the BBB or the Commerce Dept or some other government agency
that keeps track of these events. Please don't use scare tactics and go
spreading unnecessary rumors about US territories and their neighbors. I
do not believe the rp-ml is the place for this.

Specifically, if you are concerned about possible computer viruses and
scams you can visit the U.S. Department of Energy's Computer Incident
Advisory Capability at http://ciac.llnl.gov.

Nyrma Soffel