RP Users and Maintenance problems

From: Elaine Hunt (elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 19 1997 - 16:29:35 EEST

> You asked why did I seek help from the RP population on a service
> question.

This is an interesting question that concerns me deeply. I believe VERY
strongly in the freedom of individual expression. While society may not
embrace my opinions and beliefs so be it. In a closed society (yes RP-ML
is a society that I hate to see become closed) we learn little, stunt
growth, and die prematurely.

Since early on...the quest of keeping a RP system running at maximum level
was laid completely on staff in the lab. When problems arose the standard
vendor line was "we've never seen this happen before." Users felt isolated
and completely helpless with little support. From its beginning NASUG was a
strong user voice that fully supported each individual as well as the
technology.

If we as users can not speak freely of problems and solutions what does
this mean for the technology? Vendors should accept responsibility for
their products regardless of the problem. They learn, they grow, but more
important for ALL USERS, they flourish!

Should we start a mail list where maintenance issues are discussed and ONLY
allow access to RP owners? That way some innocent potential user (or RP
dabbler) would not hear of trouble.

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil?

While I breathe, I speak.
Elaine

Opinions, suggestions, and other controversial matter VOID where prohibited.
Elaine T. Hunt, Director
Clemson University Laboratory to Advance Industrial Prototyping
206 Fluor Daniel Bldg. Clemson, SC 29643-0925
864-656-0321 (voice) 864-656-4435 (fax)
elaine.hunt@ces.clemson.edu
http://chip.eng.clemson.edu/rp/persall/elaine.html