RE: Admonishment

From: Kevan Jones (kevan_jones@cemcom.com)
Date: Thu Aug 14 1997 - 00:51:07 EEST

Perhaps a better admonishment would be for ALL (close to 1000) of the
recipients of Feng Wei's
file to send back ALL 10 copies that we ALL recieved, NOT FORGETTING TO
REMOVE THE RP_ML FROM THE LIST OF RECIPIENTS WHEN YOU HIT THE REPLY
BUTTON!!!!!!!

Yes I was shouting. My connection is through an ISDN dialup. 2 cents /
minute for all that unecessary download time.

Although I agree with the spirit of giving and helping, giving and helping
half a Meg of data to close to 1000 people is a bit much, especially if
they don't expect, want, or need it.

The problem is probably one of user understanding of the email client in
use. Issuing a 'Reply" command initiates different actions in different
clients. As a matter of 'netiquette' senders of email should ALWAYS check
the recipient list of a message before issuing the 'send' command. What
Feng Wei probably did not realise, is that by replying to the message from
Mr. Maurice, his mail client also replies to ALL recipients of the message.
This is innocent enough, as long as the other recipients are not mailing
lists. The fact that the other recipient was the rp-ml has probably wreaked
havoc on many a system today. I mentioned that I use a dialup ISDN line to
connect. I pity the uses such as Yakov who use modems (probably a good
portion of the list members) over long distance lines.

The moral of the story is one that is as old as the 'net. Just be aware of
where you are sending large files.

----------
> From: Tom Richards <tomr@aicasting.com>
> To: rp-ml
> Subject: Admonishment
> Date: Wednesday, August 13, 1997 2:29 PM
>
> Feng Wei, Don't EVER again send attached files to me (us) without our
> permission. You just wasted a bunch of my processor time.

Kevan Jones
Director, IS
CEMCOM Corporation
1919 Halethorpe Farms Rd