Programers Joke

From: Sadegh Rahmati (epxsr@epn1.maneng.nottingham.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 13 1997 - 13:21:46 EEST

Programmers Joke

A programmer, a mechanical engineer, and a
manager were on their way to a
meeting. They were driving down a steep, winding,
mountain road with many
switchbacks, when suddenly the brakes failed. The
car ran off the road,
bounced down the mountain, rolled over a few times,
bumped into some rocks,
and finally stopped only a few feet from the road
below. No one was hurt,
but they had a problem. They were on a mountain with
no brakes in the car.

"Let's have a meeting," the manager said. "Propose a
Vision, formulate a
Mission Statement, define some Goals, and by a
process of Continuous
Mission Improvement focusing on our Core Business,
find a solution to this
Critical Problem."

"No, no," said the mechanical engineer. "That's never
solved anything.
I've got two shirt hangars, half a roll of duct tape, and a
Swiss army
knife. Give me a few minutes, and the brakes will be
good enough to get us
to the nearest gas station."

"Wait," said the programmer. "Before we do anything,
I think we should
push the car back up the road and see if it happens
again."

Sadegh Rahmati
Centre for Rapid Prototyping in Manufacturing
Department of Manufacturing Engineering
The University of Nottingham
Nottingham, UK
NG7 2RD