Re: Benchmark testing

From: M. Burns (marshall@ennex.com) ((marshall@ennex.com))
Date: Sat Aug 02 1997 - 09:42:26 EEST

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, NYRMA SOFFEL wrote:
> A few years ago there was much talk about the testing and performance of
> user parts, however, I have not heard such talk concerning the larger
> SLA machines. I really wonder, why hasn't anyone conducted benchmark
> testing on the larger SLA machine?
> Albert Young

     The reason is probably because the designers of the tests want to be
able to compare as many technologies as possible with some sort of
standard evaluation. So they use a test object that will fit in the build
capacity of all the machines. The problem that you are pointing out is
that, for example, an SLA-500 is not just a big SLA-250, but actually
uses different technology in its detailed operation. So tests that use an
SLA-250 to represent Stereolithography don't show the whole picture. You
could improve on this by running the same test object in both the 250 and
the 500, and this would be a good procedure for a complete benchmark
test. But this still isn't a complete solution because it doesn't really
test the full capabilities of the 500.

     Bottom line: There are now enough larger-capacity machines on the
market that it's time to start evaluating them for their large-build
capabilities, as well as side-by-side with the smaller machines.

Best regards,
Marshall Burns
marshall@ennex.com

** Ennex(TM) Fabrication Technologies **
** FABRICATING THE FUTURE (TM) **
** 10911 Weyburn Avenue, Suite 332, Los Angeles, U.S.A. 90024 **
** Phone: +1 (310) 824-8700 Fax: +1 (310) 824-5185 **
** E-Mail: fabbers@ennex.com **