Performance metrics

From: ralott@CCGATE.HAC.COM
Date: Fri Aug 01 2008 - 20:43:41 EEST

     How do you measure the performance of your RP operation?

     I don't mean how do you determine if your business is successful --
     that's easy to tell by looking at the balance sheet. So what are the
     measurable indications of a well run shop?

     If we just count the number of parts that cycle through, we would have
     to allow for the amount of work that comes in, which is more a measure
     of the sales staff's performance. (or our ability to take on only
     small, easy parts)

     If on-time delivery is the measure, then it requires turning away work
     with unreasonable due dates and possibly not maximizing the throughput
     potential of the equipment. These are not options where I work.

     Would the number of restarts be a good indication? If parts are
     scrapped because of poor setup it would be a indication of the
     operator's ability. Any other ideas?

     Rick Lott
     Hughes Space and Communications
     Los Angeles California