Re: surface to solid

From: Gill Barequet (barequet@blaze.cs.jhu.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 30 1997 - 05:08:16 EEST

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997 18:15:22 -0400 (EDT) Sarvajit Sinha wrote:

> At 11:13 PM 6/2/97 -0500, Welsh_1 wrote:
> >Is there any software available to convert surfaced models to solid models
> >as painlessly as possible?
> >
> >Paul Evans paul.evans@sea.siemens.com
> >Siemens-Furnas Controls
>
> The general answer is NO. And anyone claiming that it is clearly hasn't
> dealt with all the problems of a surface model. Much as there is no magic
> bullet to close polygonal models and certify that it is a valid .stl
> file(see recent RPML message by Rob Roy), there is no magic button which
> will correct all the possible defects in a surface model so that export to a
> solid modeler is easy.
>
> ... (snip) ...
>
> Dr. Sarvajit Sinha sss@iware.com
> Imageware Corp., http://www.iware.com/~sss

Maybe those who fight cracks in boundaries of .stl models have interest
in the published literature on this issue. Here are the publications I am
aware to:

A. Dolenc and I. M\"{a}kel\"{a},
Optimized triangulation of parametric surfaces,
Technical Report TKO-B74, Helsinki University of Technology, 1991,
Mathematics of Surfaces IV.

X. Sheng and U. Tucholke,
On triangulating surface model for SLA,
Proc. 2nd Int. Conf. on Rapid Prototyping, Dayton, OH,
1991, 236-239.

J.H. B{\o}hn and M.J. Wozny,
Automatic CAD-model repair: Shell-closure,
Proc. Symp. on Solid Freeform Fabrication,
Dept. of Mech. Eng., Univ. of Texas at Austin,
1992, 86-94.

S.J. Rock and M.J. Wozny,
Generating topological information from a "bucket of facets",
Proc. Symp. on Solid Freeform Fabrication,
Dept. of Mech. Eng., Univ. of Texas at Austin,
1992, 86-94.

X. Sheng and B.E. Hirsch,
Triangulation of trimmed surfaces in parametric space,
Computer-Aided Design,
24 (1992), 437-444.

W.E. Snyder, R. Groshong, M. Hsiao, K.L. Boone and T. Hudacko,
Closing gaps in edges and surfaces,
Image and Vision Computing,
10 (1992), 523-531.

I. M\"{a}kel\"{a} and A. Dolenc,
Some efficient procedures for correcting triangulated models,
Proc. Symp. on Solid Freeform Fabrication,
Dept. of Mech. Eng., Univ. of Texas at Austin,
1993.

G. Barequet and M. Sharir,
Filling gaps in the boundary of a polyhedron,
Computer-Aided Geometric Design,
12 (1995), 207-229.

S.M. Morvan and G.M. Fadel,
IVECS, interactive correction of .STL files in a virtual environment,
Proc. Symp. on Solid Freeform Fabrication,
Dept. of Mech. Eng., Univ. of Texas at Austin,
1996, 491-498.

F.-L. Krause, C. Stiel, and J. Luddermann,
Processing of CAD-data---conversion, verification and repair,
Proc. 4th ACM Symp. on Solid Modeling,
Atlanta, GA, May 1997, 248-254.

G. Barequet and S. Kumar,
Repairing CAD models,
Proc. IEEE Visualization,
Phoenix, AZ, October 1997, to appear.

Enjoy.

Gill.

Gill Barequet, Ph.D. Phone: (410) 516-5298
Center for Geometric Computing Fax: (410) 516-6134
Dept. of Computer Science E-mail: barequet@cs.jhu.edu
Johns Hopkins University WWW: http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~barequet
3400 N. Charles St. (Priv. Phone & Fax: (410) 602-9703)
Baltimore, MD 21218-2694
U.S.A. "Life is NP-Hard." (-)