Re: Converting STL

From: Bob Yancey (yancey@einstein.oharacor.com)
Date: Thu Jul 24 1997 - 15:35:29 EEST

Most reverse engineering digitizing equipment (CT, lasers, CGI, etc.)
usually output STL files, not CAD files. Therefore, those of us involved
with reverse engineering want tools to utilize STL files for CAM, CAE, etc.

>--
>
>Hi world-wide-everybody
>
>I can not understand why there is a need to convert or machine on STL
>files. My understanding of STL was, that STL were final OUTPUT files,
>with facets sliced layer by layer for RP. That should mean that you
>loose a lot of part definition. Still, people talk about converting STL
>back to IGES or other.
>I believed that converting STL files was some kind of last resource for
>cases of loosing original files by some Murphy’s law. But, I have to
>admit my analysis to be wrong.
>
>If you have transferring standards like IGES, VDAFS, DXF, STEP, etc plus
>independent converter applications from major CAD systems native formats
>to those standards, why use STL?
>
>Could someone clear what I am missing here? Thanks
>

>Greetings
>
>Leonel

>Leonel Graça - DISTRIM, Lda. mailto:leonel.g@distrim.pt
>P.O.BOX 199
>2432 Marinha Grande http://www.distrim.pt
>PORTUGAL
>Tel.: +351-44-5704000
>Fax : +351-44-5703001

Bob Yancey
yancey@oharacor.com

Advanced Research and Appplications Corporation (ARACOR)
514 E. Dayton-Yellow Springs Road
Fairborn, OH 45324

(937) 879-4200
(937) 879-3934 (FAX)