Re: Minimum thickness of CT/MRI data

From: JENS HOFFMANN (HOFFMANN@mciron.mw.tu-dresden.de)
Date: Fri Jul 11 1997 - 15:19:08 EEST

> Hi, RP'ers
>
> I'm working and researching on the medical RP model using CT or MRI data.
> Generally, we take a set of CT/MRI slice data with a thickness of 5 mm in
> our medical center.
> I wonder if the number of CT/MRI data is enough to reconstruct the surface
> model or STL data.
> You know, because of the maximum permissible exposure to radiation or
> something, we cannot take a thinner slice of MRI/CT data for a patient.
> I need your advice or experiences of surface/STL reconstruction job using
> MRI/CT data.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Bye.
>
> Junghoon Hur
> Ph.D Candidate
> CAD Lab. Dept. of Mechanical Design & Production Engineering
> Seoul National University, San 56-1
> Shilimdong, Kwanakgu,
> Seoul, 151-742, Korea
>
> TEL : +82-2-880-7447
> FAX : +82-2-887-2283
> E-mail : hur@cad.snu.ac.kr ; basshur@nownuri.net

Hallo all,

I work at the Dresden University of Technology with CT and MR data in
the field of RP. Normally i get the datas with a layer thickness of
two millimeters. More is not possible (by CT, says the radiologies)
especially in the field of head, but more than two mm is also not so
good because of the structure of boone of the head. Only in very
difficult drops we use a layer thickness of five mm. Than it is
difficult to get a good reconstruction in 3D datas of this patient. A
other question are "normal" boones for instance feed or hip. there
are (i think so) four or five mm layer thickness are enough.

The layer thickness of MR is not so a question. It is more the
question of the required scan time (and costs)!. The radiation is not
 a strain for the body.

I hope it is a help fo you

J. Hoffmann

  * Jens Hoffmann *
  * TU Dresden, Institut fuer Produktionstechnik *
  * D-01062 Dresden *
  * Germany *
  * Tel.: +49 351 463 2109 / 4722 *
  * Fax.: +49 351 463 7159 *