3D printing

From: Terry T. Wohlers (twohlers@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Jul 10 1997 - 05:20:43 EEST

Kevin Robertson wrote:

> 2) There have been a few postings regarding desk top modeling and the
> tremendous market potential that exists for such a product. If such a
market
> exists wouldn't you be seeing major players such as Kodak, Xerox or
Hewlett
> Packard creating these products? I'm curious as to the thoughts of the
group

There's a big difference between "market potential" and a market that
exists today. It's unlikely that the companies you mentioned will enter
the market until it's substantial in size. Today, the market for office
concept modelers is small, ... so small that executives at these companies
would chuckle at the thought of developing a product for present day needs.
 But these same people are trying to anticipate future markets and
opportunities. At some point, I expect that at least one corporate giant
will enter the 3D printing market. The puzzling question is, as Norman
indicated, "when will they jump in?" Determining when the market is ready
to absorb office units, at a high volume and low price point, could prove
to be more difficult to the manufacturer (without the help of a consultant
<grin>) than developing and delivering the machines.

Terry Wohlers
Wohlers Associates, Inc.
twohlers@compuserve.com