Re: Saving Money

From: Yakov Horenstein (yakov@planet.it)
Date: Mon Jun 23 1997 - 17:41:17 EEST

At 9:22 -0400 6/20/97, Drew Brown wrote:

>Who is Midwest and what do they do?

Midwest is a service bureau and a DTM customer. For some time they have had
an ongoing battle with DTM for the right to use non-DTM powders in their
sinterstation. The fact of the matter is that a large part of DTM's
revenues derive from the sale of expensive proprietary powders, and losing
this source of income would strain things in Texas even further than they
are already. Apart from the rather curious spectacle of a company suing
it's own client (Midwest), there is also some doubt about DTM's right to
restrict users to using only DTM powders on their sinterstations. When I
asked the local DTM rep if this was an issue (i.e. whether DTM customers
could employ any powder they like) he said, after checking with his
superiors, "no problem, provided the machine is not under warranty". As
someone else said, this issue opens up a HUGE can of worms for the OEM's,
but I think in the end we users will benefit. I support Midwest.

Yakov Horenstein
Milano, Italy