Re: RP vs 5-axis mill

From: Don Wilde (Don@PartsNow.com)
Date: Fri Jun 06 1997 - 18:40:07 EEST

I agree that there's a real lead in the CNC arena for some parts. I used to work for a connector manufacturer
who had a 5-axis cranking parts 24 hours a day.

I would say that there are 2 real areas of superiority for our additive process, which ends with a metal
casting:

1) complex hollow parts such as automotive manifolds (see the manifolds at
<http://www.partsnow.com/about/newscase.shtml>)

2) hard alloys such as Inconel and tool steels. Much more easily cast than machined.

--
  oooOOO O O O o * * *  *   *   *