Re: STL File Repairs

From: Steve_Farentinos (sfarenti@scf.usc.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 05 1997 - 05:15:35 EEST

MR ALBIN A HASTBACKA wrote:

> -- [ From: Al Hastbacka * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --
>
> I am interested in any experience with STL file repair type software.
> There are several software packages that advertise an STL repair feature
> , but how well does this feature work in any of them?

We use both the Solid Concepts and Deskartes products here at PML.
Solid view from Solid Concepts has a better user interface and is the
tool of choice for simple STL file manipulations and viewing. I think
they're on to something really big with the annotation and SFX format
capabilities for engineering collaboration.

Rapid Tools from Deskartes has some surprisingly robust tools for more
complex tasks like those mentioned in Robert Roy's inquiry about
"Solidifying" STL. It allows for boolean operations of intersecting
parts, gap repair, surface offsetting and more. I have used this
product to offset for wall thickness in a few minutes. The same
operation would have taked hours or days in the originating CAD
program. The file reapir features are equally strong. Most gap
problems can be repaired with a few mouse clicks. The really nasty ones
may require some "low level" manual facet vertex manipulation.

Steve

--
Steve Farentinos
PML, Inc.