Re: Machine Hour Capacity Gage

From: Steve Deak (ht-grp@cinti.net)
Date: Fri May 30 1997 - 23:47:32 EEST

Preston Smith wrote:

> This has been an interesting thread. The emphasis has been on been on
> keeping the machine as loaded as possible to maximize return on your
> investment in the machine.
>
> This viewpoint totally ignores the value of fast response to the demand
> for prototypes -- the very argument for having rapid prototypes in the
> first place.
> In our business, RP is on the critical path to project success, but is
only a minute part of the overall schedule. Model delivery requirements
are relative to each project, and we typicaly deliver 1-2 days earlier
than scheduled (typical model turntime is 2-4 days).

If I do my job right, I juggle incoming work (not FIFO) to make optimum
use of clock hours and machines. If it is imperative to the project to
run it solo, we'll do it. Otherwise, I may run 10-15 parts at a time to
ensure a complete overnight build duration and 2-5 happy (internal)
customers. There is little utility in allowing a build to finish at 1:00
a.m. and sit idle for an additional 7 hours (I like to sleep).

--
Steve Deak			E-mail: ht-grp@cinti.net
Manager-RP Services		Voice:	(513) 579-3270