Re: DXF files

From: Delft Spline Systems (info@spline.nl)
Date: Thu May 22 1997 - 13:42:16 EEST

>Hello RP world,
>
>I just familiarized myself with a cool software program called 3D Studio
>MAX and I was able to export .dxf files. I believe this is the
>native AutoCad file type, right? I'm aware Unigraphics has a DXFtoUG
>module that should do the trick, but for some *$#^# reason, I can't use it
>at the moment (I'm working on it..). Is there any quicky-simple-easy
>(i.e. free) software convertor that will let me go .dxf ---> .stl easily?
>
>Please, no jokes about flying monkeys.
>
>Thanks all-
>Allen
>
> G. Allen Brady -- Graduate Research Assistant
>Materials Science and Engineering - The University of Michigan
>2219 H.H. Dow Bldg. 2300 Hayward Street Ann Arbor, MI 48105
>work: 313/936-0177 fax: 313/747-4807 email: galbrady@umich.edu
> http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~galbrady

Hi Allen

You can download the free demo version of our DeskProto
software (for Rapid Prototiping on an affordable CNC milling machine).

It will do the trick:
 Open the DXF file using FILE New
 Use FILE Save Geometry and select STL.

Do download the demo from our web site www.spline.nl

Note: this does NOT work for all DXF files: only for files that
contain the same triangle facets as in STL.
Files from 3D Studio do so.

Regards,

Lex Lennings.

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
Active in CAD/CAM, Rapid Prototyping and NC milling
Email : info@spline.nl
Web : http://www.spline.nl